Monday 4 November 2013

Day 308 - My dedication to Molly. xx


Monday 4th November

Molly turns 21
 

Molly burst into the world 21 years ago and in that moment I began to heal.  We lost our first baby on Christmas morning and I thought my world had come to an end.  But by the next Christmas Molly was with us so we smiled as she stared at the lights on the tree and crunched up wrapping paper.  At just a day old Molly was already imposing herself on the world and just refused to settle.  From my hospital window I could see the fireworks.  She might not have been able to see them but she heard then and that soothed her.  I knew then this girl was going to be fearless.  I am not sure many new born babies would be soothed by fireworks exploding. 

Once home, Molly began to claim all the attention going and we loved her so much it hurt.  As she has born with a shock of red hair we had given her Ella as a middle name after my darling grandmother.  As she grew she seemed to learn her great grandmother's wisdom and my father loved her for that.  He used to spend hours watching her and often commented how full of purpose she was for someone so small.  When my dad fell asleep for the final time I cried like my heart would break because I knew she would now grow up without the inspiration that was my father. 

In her very young years Molly had to put up with a mother teaching full time and studying for her masters degree part time.  Molly was there when her father accidentally wiped an entire chapter of my thesis from the hard drive.  Molly was there when I passed my driving test.  Molly was there when I got my new shiny job at the university.  Molly has always been there. 

To understand Molly you probably have to understand me and to understand me you have to understand Molly.  Our connection knows no words to describe it and that is because she saved me.  She saved me for a grief so profound and deep that I thought my heart would ache for eternity.  Eventually three brothers joined the family and Molly strutted about the home asserting her claim as 'top dog'.  There she remains. 

Molly's love of animals started very early with continual pestering to visit the pet shop.  One sunny afternoon at a farm park a rather impressive turkey took a dislike to us and as I ran for the hills. Molly stood her ground, stuck her finger out and gave it a really good telling off.  The turkey was mortified but Molly was delighted.  Many years later Molly was to rescue a chicken who wandered by without a home and she called it Katie.  I can't write about that relationship because it was the most beautiful relationship I have ever seen and when Katie left us after many many years my heart broke again. 

The connection Molly has with animals is real, spellbinding and will, quite easily, move you to tears.   Her ambition was to go to university to study animal conservation.  Home school moved aside as Molly took up the reins herself and began studying her A levels through distance learning.  Quite alone she battled with her four subjects just as they were the naughty turkey and won that battle as well.  She is now in her final year at university having backed the academic experience up with professional field experience that has included spending a month on the isle of Eigg. 

Molly can't be rushed and I always she her as a wanderer.  She wanders off to new places and new experiences without a backward look.  She wanders into people's lives and steals their heart but her favourite wandering is with at least one of the dogs by her side as she sets off to walk.  Molly can really walk.  Hours later she returns looking exactly the same as she left. 

Despite all the wandering Molly is a home girl.  She loves her family and we all love her right back.  Her father does what she tells him and her brothers admire her achievements and love her all the more for them.  There is no sibling jealously in our family and there never will be. 

We call Molly 'our angel' because she rescued us and we will always be eternally grateful.  Molly is my saviour, my wonderful daughter and my very best friend.  There is a light that shines very deep in my soul and guides my every move in life.  Molly put that light there.  As she turns 21 we could not be more proud and we could not love her more.  Our incredibly beautiful Molly.  Xxxxx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment