Monday 18 November 2013

Day 322 - the coppicing continues...xx

Monday 18th November

Despite some welcome winter sunshine it is very cold and it was tough coppicing willow and hazel today.  I am not sure I shall ever be warm again.  More wreaths now made and the fire on to warm me up while catch up with the world.  I have found a real love of weaving with willow and I lose so much time as I get engrossed in the task.  In tree folklore willow is the tree of inspiration and intuition so I a clearly hope some of that rubs off on me as I work.  It is also a tree that binds us with love and as I was binding my willow wreaths with the smaller branches today I reflected on that.  I have a number of dear friends struggling at this time of year as the days shorten and the winter descends once more.  I do wish I could bind us all up with enough love to see us through this challenging time.  I do think it is useful to get outside every day if we can and make the most of the winter light. 


I am a little odd because winter is my favourite season.  It is the season where I reflect on the previous growing year and make plans for the future.  January is my review and planning month and it is a time to recharge the batteries after a busy Christmas period.  I love to walk in the winter as the trees etch their sculptural forms on the landscape.  When the cold mists rise from the grass and we can see our own breath it feels as if we are, somehow, on the edge.  I like living on the edge.  For me this means I am always ready to jump one way or another.  The frosty mornings are slow to emerge but the glistening is always there ready for us to find it.  I am still harvesting bits and pieces from the hedgerows and I found a wonderful rosehip bush today.  It is important only to take what the bush can afford to offer up and mine are already woven into my drying willow wreaths. 

Hazelbank is not named by accident.  The smallholding has a wonderful bank of hazel trees so these were coppiced today as well.  My latest batch of wreaths are therefore a lovely blend of willow and hazel.  I nodded at the ivy as the berries are just coming right on time and the holly is waiting for its turn to be harvested.  I like a door wreath to be the first decoration of Christmas and so the 1st December seems a natural time.  I am getting a little bit over excited and am now making double hanging wreaths that suspend as mobiles in the centre of rooms or above the table.  The trouble with me is I never know when to stop!  I am, however, kept busy by the fact that people are already requesting the natural bases ahead of their launch on the 30th November.  There are no flies on the people of Arran. 

As well as working flat out on wreaths and candles for the next Christmas markets I am trying to put together a small but perfectly formed marketing campaign to launch the wedding flowers part of the business.  The problem I have is the name.  I want the word Arran in there and a reference to flowers but I am not keen on Arran Flowers which is the most obvious name.  If any of you can help I would be eternally grateful.  I can't really have a marketing campaign without a brand name.  Speed is of the essence on this one as I want to take some flyers to Santa Sparkle a week on Saturday. 


I continue to get lots of lovely emails from you guys and I shall miss this when this phase of the project comes to an end on December 31st.  I had a lovely email from a lady who lives just across the water and she has followed the blog all year.  She took some time out of her very busy schedule to tell me about her favourite moments during the past year and I was truly touched.  I will be doing a similar exercise in December but meantime pop across to the Scottish island mum Pinterest board to see some photos that will, no doubt, trigger memories. 

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone who is struggling with depression or similar illnesses a speedy recovery.  Today the boys and I saw a rainbow on the Holy Isle, a red  squirrel just a few metres away and a buzzard over the heights.  I am dedicating all those lovely moments to all who are finding life a little tough.  Blessings. 

Until tomorrow.  xx



No comments:

Post a Comment