Thursday 28 November 2013

Day 332 - a humbling experience. xx

Thursday 28th November

There are experiences capable of humbling us all and I am blessed to have more than my fair share working with international charities.  But the humbling experience today grounded me right back in the centre of my family.  Home school was abandoned today so that we could all help with the cutting for the fresh wreaths.  Whimsical Wreaths has been a family business from conception and we are on the final run up to the official launch at Santa Sparkle on Saturday. 


All the greenery cut we then set about making up the products.  It was some way through the day when I realised the massive part that George has played in this venture.  He was in the 'team' that planted all the cuttings back in February and he was in the coppicing team as well.  He also helped with all the cutting early this morning and then he stood next to me the whole day while we made up the fresh wreaths.  But perhaps his greatest moment came when he was making the willow wreath bases a few days back.  George is a mathematician and he likes things to be precise so I wasn't sure how he would cope with making a rather organic willow wreath.  He astounded all of us but not only learning the skill very quickly but, within minutes, he was making the best wreaths.  The people who are fortunate enough to purchase one of his wreath bases this weekend will know exactly what I mean. 

George has never left my side.  He has worked solidly with me the whole time and he has, effortlessly, stepped into Harry's rather large shoes.  Harry works on an organic horticultural plot now so he has left a gap behind in our daily lives.  I hadn't realised just how well George had filled it.  Regular readers will know all about Harry's skills and so anyone trying to fill that gap has their work cut out.  So the fact that George has achieved this at just 16 is completely humbling and I could not be more proud.  All our children know how to work hard and have been doing so since they were old enough to do odd jobs round the house.  Now they are all capable of making a success at a new venture that began in the cold frosty February days and now all the boys know how to make wreaths with their first crop.  Molly is, of course, away at university but she is just as capable as the boys. 

So, I am proud of all my children but today is about acknowledging just how far George has come in a very short period of time.  I chatted to him about this day and asked if he might like to take on more responsibility on the smallholding.  He said that he would and so this will allow for greater growth next year.  We have more of Harry over the next few months as well so the two of them can work together.  How truly wonderful. 


So at 4.30pm on the Thursday before the launch all the fresh wreaths are done and it is such a relief.  We even managed a Christmas garland for the stand with the left over bits.  Tomorrow I have some finishing to do while the boys pack everything ready to go.  We certainly couldn't have worked any harder. 

After Saturday I have a wreath making demonstration to do on Wednesday evening, a final Christmas market the following Saturday and then a wreath making workshop in a couple of weeks.  I also have a shop patiently waiting to take some stock and Christmas flower orders starting to come in.  But that is all pretty manageable to I should be able to pace myself a little better.  Right now everything hurts and I feel beyond exhausted but I am sure it will all be worth it. 

Santa Sparkle is a big deal on the island with lots of activities including a dramatic firework display before a party in the evening.  We could well be there for 12 hours on Saturday but Angie will be there right by my side and Pete will be on hand to help.  Right now Angie and I have everything crossed.....

Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment