Tuesday 5 November 2013

Day 309 - a slightly bonkers world. Xx

Tuesday 5th November

Scottish island mum is on her travels again.  This time I am flying south to attend the memorial service of my very dear friend Paul.  I am staying with another friend who also knew Paul so we shall go together.  If I am honest memorial services are not really my way of doing things but it would not do to not be there.  I have finished my own personal memorial which I will publish here on Thursday.

It does seem fitting that the most page views Scottish island mum has ever received in a single day came yesterday when I wrote about Molly.  I have written a dedication to all four children now as this year has progressed but hers was the most difficult to write.  It came from a place deep inside a heart that had been broken but her arrival into the world had started the healing.  Quite simply, I owe Molly my life and I will be forever in her debt.  Your very kind messages fluttered into my inbox and I do hope I have managed to reply to them all.  Molly had a lovely birthday with her man and her girls at university and we shall be together on Friday when the girls are about town.  Our trip to London will be completely memorable.

Leaving the island is never easy and does take a little thought.  Travelling is the thing that I find most difficult in the world and I know that my family fret when I am away.  I am learning to take it one step at a time and I am also more ready to ask for help.  Friday will be the biggest challenge travelling up to and across London.  Once I have met up with Molly she can take my suitcase and all will be well again.

Goodness me when did the world decide that scanning is the way forward in all things travel.  The theory might be good but the actual process is far removed from that.  I was not alone in not being able to figure out which way to scan my boarding card at security.  We all stood rooted to the spot while switching our card round and round in the vain hope that we might be successful.  Eventually a helpful lady rescues all of us making me think it would have been quicker if she has just checked themselves.

Then there is the experience that is security.  I am a veteran at this but I always feel so sorry for first timers who are completely perplexed by the whole process and end up holding the rest of us up.  This adds to their stress as belts, shoes and coats come off before tipping the contents of bags into plastic trays.  I did have a slightly evil thought as I approached the walk through scanner.  I had my metal walking stick with me and I could have said I needed it to get through the scanner.  What would they have done then?  I did love that the security guard told me I was a good girl for not carrying any liquids.  It is a long time since I have been called a girl.

The joy that is airport security beyond me and dressed once more I head off for a much needed cup of tea but spy the shop first to get some mints for the flight.  To my complete horror we have to scan our mints in order to pay for them and our boarding card and don't you dare pick up your mints before the terminal tells you to.  I am sounding old now but I am not a fan of our new scanner world.  It isn't at all quick as is the intention.  Every scanner is different and there is always someone in the queue who can't work it.

Eventually I was sat down with my tea and I just about has enough time to recover before my gate was called.  In flight I looked down at the neat rows of houses in the glasgow suburbs and reflected on my near little journey to get into the air.  I am not a fan of the orderly and neat and it is interesting to reflect on how far the human race is taking this.  In our attempts to simplify and speed up I fear we are rather losing our way.  We are perhaps the only species that believes that the minimum of interaction with each other is the desired way to live.  In the air above the clouds you can't help but notice the lack of order and neatness in the cloud formation.  Perhaps I should stay above the clouds; I might feel more at home.

Island living is behind the rest of the scanning world with the exception of the supermarket.  It is perhaps another reason why I live there.  Arran is like a quiet haven where Mother Nature makes the rules and all we can do is follow her lead.  If she decides to send a big wind we will not be able to get off the island.  That fact alone separates us and I like that separateness.  I am happy to enter the scanning world from time to time if only to remind myself how special living on an island is.  There are no roundabouts, no traffic lights, no parking charges and when we board the ferry we pass our ticket to a rather lovely gentleman who always says thank you.

Until tomorrow.  Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment