Wednesday 10 April 2013

Day 100 - magic numbers and raggy charms

Wednesday 10th April

One feels like putting the bunting out as we simply charge through 6000 pages views of this little blog that I have now been writing for 100 days.  Difficult to remember what life was like pre-blog as it has become part of my thinking each and every day.  As always I am very humbled by the support shown not just for the blog but for the projects I talk about from time to time.  In particular the support for the Butterfly Tree fundraising campaign has been truly special.  We can't all go out to Zambia to help but we can do things back here that help to raise such vital funds. 

Your support makes me feel like I need to raise my game a bit to ensure that the launch is as successful as possible.  I could probably make the tulle butterfliess in my sleep now and I am sure that I will in the days leading to the 27th April.  More little lovelies were created today and they all seem to get on fine.  I am now branching out into new crafts that are perhaps a bit easier to make and today was the turn of my paper flutterby to be born. 


These little flutterbys on sticks should delight the children but I think I will be holding onto one.  Working in the studio with the door open meant they fluttered away quite happily and they are now keeping my nest of ladybirds company.  All proceeds for the ones I have made will go to the charity and I hope to encourage people to have a go and make their own.  If you would like to make some for our campaign just let me know and I can send instructions.  Really easy, I promise. 



Every day the studio gets closer to the space I want it to be.  There is still lots to do before the opening especially as I am off island all next week.  It really is a wonderful place to work and I do hope people will enjoy coming on courses and using the space.  It is small but so are the courses as they are designed for 2/3 people.  I see the courses as a chance to be creative but also an opportunity to take time out of hectic lives. 

Since the studio was painted I have wanted to create my own prayer flags to make the place feel spiritually connected to me.  I took some time out this morning to create the first three and I feel a stronger sense of peace now they are in the space.  I have always loved the Tibetan Buddhist tradition of prayer flags and I want to build this into my courses.  Every one that visits the studio will get the opportunity to make their own and, by doing so, will leave a piece of themselves in the studio.  Of course, this is not mandatory - far from it but I do hope that, in time, the studio will be covered with flags blowing in the wind. 

I  am trying very hard to free myself up to visit Samye Ling in June this year.  The season is such a busy time of the year but I don't want another year to pass without a visit.  I want to take a short course by one of my teachers that focuses on compassion.  The tutor Ken Holmes offers the distance learning course that I am half way through.  This is not for the faint hearted as it is a challenging course but I have got so much out of it. I am taking a year out before taking the final year to do some of my own research and I think this will give me better prspective on year 2 studies. 

The short course with Ken on compassion will no doubt stretch me further.  Compassion does not always come as easily as perhaps it should.  There are countless examples of a lack of compassion and they are in the news every day.  I am hoping the course will help me understand how to make compassion a stronger part of who I am.  This might be a bit ambitious for a 2 day course! 

It is important to me that the studio reflects who I am and therefore it will change often.....

Little bits and pieces are starting to take up residence including a lovely raggy circle made by Ruthm


The colours are just perfect.  What a clever girl.  Ruth's eldest daughter is helping serve tea and cake at the opening and Ruth is making a raffle prize.  Hugely grateful girls.

It has been the most beautiful spring day on the island.  I read a wonderful status update by an old  school friend on facebook today and he has agreed to write a piece for my blog. I haven't featured a guest blogger for a while and it is so time I moved over.  Talk about hogging the limelight.  May I just offer you all blessings today and every day.

Until tomorrow. xx


No comments:

Post a Comment