Tuesday 30 April 2013

Day 120 - a glorious little boy who needs our thanks. Thank you Angus.xx

Tuesday 30th April

What an absolutely stunning day on the island and I was up early and straight into that tunnel.  The boys went off on a long walk to put their bearings work into practice and hope they didn't get lost!  So I had the place to myself.  Lovely.

I am very proud of my tunnel achievements so far this year and, mostly, things are looking good.  I think it is about time I accepted defeat on the lavenders in the sick bay as there is no sign of life and I can put the compost to better use.  My tomatoes are finally showing a bit of back bone and shooting up and out at the same time.  My strawberries are beginning to send out little flowers that you just know equals strawberries so that was especially exciting.  My poor sweet peas are in a bit of a tangle so grow bags are on the shopping list.  Top of the class is jointly shared between my dwarf sunflowers and my beloved borage.  They are both a shining example of how to do it in a pot!  At this rate I am going I will have enough for an open weekend in the summer just to sell my plants.  That said, I never really do 'just' so this year I will serve tea and cake and take donations for the butterfly tree charity.  Perfect. 

I sowed 25 dwarf French beans into single pots and covered them and they are now part of my 'sink or swim' strategy.  I am fairly confident they will swim.  I potted on my beetroot because it is too early to plant these fragile darlings out and they were bursting out of their seed tray.  Of course, I am beginning to run out of space so some stuff is going to have to go in the ground and make the best of it.  The willow crop is pushing up and out and looks like it has all taken really well.  We could be onto something here.  We shall have to see how it copes with the autumn winds.  On the whole everything is looking good and I am about ready to start planting up my hanging baskets for the season.  Although I do some with the dreaded annual flowers I generally fill them with edible plants such as strawberries, herbs and tumbling tomatoes.  I hang them on the frame of the tunnel for a few weeks before selling them, always keeping a few back for us.  The area immediately outside the back door is in my sights.  I already have a raised herb bed there for ease of harvesting for cooking.  I am thinking that this paved area would make a fabulous potted vegetable and herb garden.  I have always wanted to have a go at vertical gardening with pallets and this might just be the year.  The wall faces south so it has huge potential.  I will keep you posted. 



I am a bit of a forager at heart and on a gentle walk today I could see that the first crop of dandelion leaves are ready for harvest.  I could stuff them in a mug of boiling water and drink it but then I would be weeing for days so I think not.  Instead, I harvested them and gave them to the rabbits.  We have two furry friends and they both love dandelion leaves as you can see!  Twitch could probably set the world record for the fastest ever eaten dandelion leaf.  Our other Rabbit, Smoky, is blind and deaf but that didn't stop him finding the leaves and getting stuck in. 

I was delighted to see the bluebells are beginning to burst open.  We have millions of them on the smallholding and for the next month or so they will appear everywhere in the house.  I am delighted that ours are English bluebells rather than Spanish as their perfume is much, much better.  This lovely sunshine just needs to hang about for a bit longer and the whole smallholding will turn a lovely shade of blue. 


My courses are beginning to sell already and I am taking lots of lovely bookings.  I meet the best people of my courses and I think it is going to a great summer of horticultural and creative activity.  My diary for the year is completely full with the addition of an open house towards the end of November.  Over this weekend we turn the ground floor of our home into a handmade gift shopping experience dropped straight down from heaven,  We invite local craft workers to sell their work and we offer mulled wine and mince pies to guests.  It is the ultimate in relaxing Christmas shopping.  It does need some careful planning though so invites to craft workers have started to leave my 'outbox.'  I am quite sure it will be a lovely weekend.

As a result of my little charity tea party some people are starting to run their own events to raise money for the Butterfly Tree charity.  I am helping where I can and do remember to please let me know what I can do.  I had a lovely text off a dear friend who joined us on Saturday.  She is now making butterfly brooches to sell in her shop with some of the proceeds coming to our campaign.  I was truly touched.  I also hear that one little guest has already filled his vintage tea cup up with loose change.  He is only 7 years old - don't you just love that?

I am now taking orders for our little tulle butterflies that remain at the heart of all we do.  They sell for just £1.00 and all proceeds go to the charity.  Five butterfly sales equals one mosquito net that will save lives.  We even pay the postage.  So, if you would like to order any to give to family and friends do let me know and my little elves and I will get busy.  Many thanks.

I end with a slight confession that won't surprise many of you.  I did, indeed begin reading my Dakini Power book before my little charity tea party and I am so incredibly impressed by it.  You absolutely do not have to be a Buddhist to be impressed by these twelve women as they help to shape Buddhism in the west.  You just have to be interested in people and their stories.  Granted, these stories are pretty powerful and rather humbling but completely absorbing.  I will do a full review of the book once I have finished it but I already recommend it to all. 

I am actually ending with a picture of borage because I am completely obsessed.  If you live on the island and would like to buy any of my lovely borage plants I am selling them at £1.50 each with all proceeds to the Butterfly Tree.  When they are gone they are gone.  Every garden needs borage because every garden needs bees.  Tis that simple. 

Until tomorrow. xx



No comments:

Post a Comment