Thursday 4 April 2013

Day 94 - flutterbys and bees and lots of sunshine.

Thursday 4th April

For me it doesn't get much better than a visit to Brodick Castle on a lovely sunny day.  Molly departs for Lincoln on Saturday and a home visit is never complete with a cream tea at the castle.  We were blessed with lovely weather today so we took our chance.  I have visited many National Trust properties over the years but Brodick Castle remains one of my favourites.  It establishes itself high on the hill overlooking Brodick bay and simply insists you appreciate its charms.  It is a charming castle that was once home to Lady Jean Fforde who still resides on the island.  The gardens are an absolute delight with something to see and admire around every corner.  Of all of the places I have wonndered in my time on this planet this is the one that brings me most peace.  Those of you who read my piece about the loss of our first baby know just how special this place is to me. 

I photograph it every time I go and I am quite sure I have more photos of this place than anywhere else I have visited. 



Pathways lead you through secret doors and into walled gardens awash with spring colour.  The Rhododendrons are mostly in bud now, largely due to the cold snap we have just emerged from. 

 
That is fine becasue it just means we have to return in a couple of weeks to see the full display.  Last year they planted a whole section with wildflower annuals and that ground is now bare.  Most of the wildflowers were self seeders so we shall see what emerges this year.  This is part of the Trust's mission to become more sustainable by attracting butterflies and bees to the garden.  If these large organisations don't get behind these sorts of schemes we shall remain lost in the wilderness.  I am planting new varieties of wildflowers on Hazelbank this year.  I saw two solitary bees today so they are waking from hibernation.  Like us the castle provide bamboo canes and straw for the bees to hibernate in and once the spring sunshine begins the bees will come out and so the cycle of pollination begins again. 

 
The castle grounds have some real delights hidden away including a Bavarian summerhouse decorated with hundreds of pinecones. 



Water is a fabulous feature of the grounds with two large ponds offering wonderful habitats.  In August it becomes home to the dragonflies and if you sit very still you can be entertained for ages with their flying displays.  One year one landed on my knee and that is the closest I have ever been to a dragonfly.  Our family lost a very dear member a few years back.  She was roughly my age and she left behind a wonderful husband and three amazing children.  I couldn't face the funeral as I did not think I would be able to hold it together and that would not be fair on the family.  Instead I led an event at a wildflower farm and I wrote a dedication to Amanda which I have published on my creative blog.  Whenever I see the light encased in the wings of a dragonfly I think of Amanda. 


You see beauty everywhere in the grounds of the castle.



This year I think I am going to dedicate an entire art journal to the castle as this will give me the perfect excuse to visit often.  I managed a couple of hours in the studio with my flutterbys.  I  have my first butterfly tea party already in the diary so we continue to make fantastic progress on this charity project.  But today belonged to the the children and another memorable visit to Brodick Castle.  How lucky are we?

Until tomorrow. xx





No comments:

Post a Comment