Saturday 20 April 2013

Day 110 - One of my favourite people in the world.

Saturday 20th April

OMG how busy are we on Hazelbank.  Only a week until the opening and we are trying to look organised.  There is lots to tell you and lots of tears and donations are starting to flood in.  I am truly touched.  I will do a detailed blog on that tomorrow but suffice to say the butterfly tree has appeared in all its glory! 

Thia blog is not about me today.  I knew a lad in school called Kev and in the past few years we have regained contact through facebook.  Kev writes wonderful messages on facebook and he is the person who can bring on the tears in seconds.  It is his complete and utter devotion to his family that I think we all find so wonderful.  I asked him to write from the heart and he has done just that.  It is a complete honour to share this with you and a complete honour to count him as a friend. 



A Day in my life

So where do I start? Well let’s go back to the beginning.

My name is Kevin and Fiona, being an old school friend, has asked me to write a few words, about me, my work and my family. She said people would like to read it. What about me I asked? I am just a simple man who loves his family and does what he can to give them a good life. Yes, she said about you, your work and stuff.  So here’s how I got to this point of writing a few lines for you to read.

The bags are now packed and ready in the hallway. An early start is on the cards for me tomorrow morning. The taxi is booked for 04.30 and then I will be off, away from my loved ones for well who knows with this job.  I grab the lead, the family dog knows I am on my travels again.  Funny how they can sense that changes are a foot.  We take a walk in the darkness, just a quick walk tonight Boy as its turning cold out there. I do a final check on the house and turn off the lights and head up to my bed.

The alarm goes off after what seems a very short night. I try to keep the noise down as I head down stairs, the taxi will be here soon.  I kiss my wife gently on the cheek and tell her I love her and will call you later, I whisper trying not to disturb her, she turns and we say our goodbyes.  Karen is sleeping at home tonight  so I won’t disturb her   We said our goodbyes last night and she knows I will miss her as I tell her enough.  She may be my eldest and twenty two years old but she’s still my baby girl.

I pass the open door to my son’s room – funny, I walk in thinking he will be there but he’s not.  I knew he would not be but I had to check . He has been left home for over six months now with his work , we talk on Facebook and txt but he is his own man now and dads are not too cool to have fussing in his life. He knows if he needs me I will never let him down, like I told him you will always be my son where ever your life takes you. The house is quiet as I walk back downstairs.  By the time they wake up I will be just getting off my first plane of the day. I grab my bags and head out side to await my taxi.

The taxi ride is the normal early morning silence, I flick in and out of my phone Facebook, eBay, emails all the stuff we all do as a daily ritual. How did we ever manage before phones? Well we all used to talk to each other more but I suppose it’s the sign of the times. I stuff it in my pocket we are here at the airport. A quick coffee and then we go through I am soon boarding and heading to Aberdeen.  The sun is breaking through now another day is dawning and I will see it arrive as I have many times before , but every daybreak is different depending what you’re up to. Watching the sun come up with a loved one is special as you both share the experience. Today I am alone I am on route to the heliport ready to fly offshore.

The trip is one I have done many times before. I arrive in Aberdeen I grab my bags and have an hour before my helicopter check in. I sit and ponder over a coffee a quick check of my phone, eight o clock my family will be up and busy chatting over breakfast while I am miles away. I check my phone a message it’s from Karen ‘love ya dad’ see ya soon xx a warm feeling comes into my body. I watch the world go by and in no time it’s my time, I head into waiting area and soon I watch the flight brief I have seen it many times before but I listen as if I was a first time flyer. Suit on time to go to work.

So we head out to the rig, the chopper flight is long by now my early morning start means I drift in and out of sleep. This trip it’s an oil rig 200 miles offshore from Aberdeen. A bleak place to be but it’s my job and my home for the next two weeks.

Later in my cabin I unpack my bags. I put up my pictures, both my children and wife take pride of place above my bunk. I gaze at the pictures and drift back to when they were took, a hot summers day I got my family together so I could get some nice pics I touch the frame I miss home already .

It’s been a long day, as I lay in my bunk I have had my chance to call home after tea. My wife tells me what’s been going on and says she is on her own tonight as Karen is staying out. So we are both alone tonight, but I am miles away and will be for the next thirteen nights. It’s a hard job to do especially since I have a family, not young children I know and they both go about their own lives they probably don’t even think about their old dad as much as I think about them. When I am away I have time on my hands and spend time looking back in my mind at their lives. It seems like only yesterday they were crawling and learning to walk. Now they are grown up and have lives of their own. I take one last look at my picture and switch out the light I say in my mind night night and sweet dreams to the both as I did when I said good night when they were children.

My family means the world to me and I miss them loads when I am away, I do this job and be away from home so I can give them a better life. There are times when I wish I was at home but then when I return home I feel the love and warmth of my family it makes it all worthwhile.

So there you have it a short few words to tell you about a day in my life, so next time you look up in the sky and see a plane go over, it could be me heading north again and away from my loved ones. But on the other hand I could be heading home and full of excitement of being back in my place as being just a dad and a husband.

Night night all
 
 
Until tomorrow. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment