Saturday 27 April 2013

Day 117 - I can't speak.....

Saturday 27th April



I can't speak let alone write!  We have successfully launched the Butterfly Tree fundraising challenge complete with sunshine, smiles and a whole heap of good will.  The afternoon was a complete joy from start to finish but there was a moment; there is always a moment.  When my mother shouted out we have made £98.00 in the raffle alone and I worked that out to be almost 20 mosquito nets I almost cried.  As I was gathering myself one of the guests had already got her purse out to make it up to £100 and we had the 20 nets.  That is, potentially, 20 lives saved.  But we can double that because we also made another £100 from donations and sales of the butterfly crafts.  So that is 40 lives, at least.

From a humble little tulle butterfly much has started to fly.  We will keep them flying all summer and the campaign will end in September with a wonderful Butterfly Supper.

I will need to be making the little tulle butterflies in my sleep because all the ones on the tree flew away today.  I have lots of events running through the summer and I am delighted to share that two people are also hosting their own events.  I could not be more pleased. 

Today was a small gathering because it was in our home but despite that 31 people arrived in the sunshine to be greeted by tea and cake.  My son George, who is 15, spent two days in the kitchen baking the most amazing cakes and everyone commented on the delicious baking.  Others added their own contributions and there was a lot of cake.  I am not sure there can ever be too much cake though.

I then spoke for a few minutes about the amazing work of the Butterfly Tree charity in Zambia.  It is a relatively small charity that punches way above its weight and that is down to the team.  I have my team now and what a team they are.  It is not just the 31 that came to the launch today it is everyone that reads my blog as that has led to all of this.  It is people posting lovely messages on my facebook wall before I was even awake.  It is talened people taking time to make the most stunning raffle prizes I have seen.  This campaign speaks 'effort' and, I hope, shows the communities in Zambia that we really care.  We care that roughly every 40 seconds a child dies from Malaria.  We care that a simple mosquito net or an early testing kit could  make all the difference.  We care enough to do something about it. 

So my personal thanks goes out to each and every one of you but please know this is just the beginning.  I have a summer of asking for help ahead of me but now I feel less afraid to ask.  That makes a huge difference. 

After our first tea and cake moment we all went outside for the  official opening on my new studio - Hen Hut.  She shone very brighly in the sunshine and Pete read a story I wrote about her.  Then the moment I knew I would find difficult.  Lynn gave a lovely speech which was full of promise and hope before cutting the ribbon.  It was a moment that has now taken a special place in my heart. 

A need for more tea and cake and an opportunity to buy some lovely handmade gifts drove some back inside while others lingered in the studio. The force that is my mother then sold raffle tickets like her life depended on it. 

While doing the raffle I noticed the good humour in the room and just how much people seemed to be enjoying themselves.  Nobody rushed off as purses came out again for more buying. 

All afternoon Mollie had been filming and her film will be shared here once the poor girl has finished her exams.  There will be much more to say about this remarkable young woman in subsequent blogs.

So, from a tulle butterfly to 40 mosquito nets to save lives.  Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.

Thank you, thank you.

Until tomorrow. x




 
 

1 comment:

  1. awesome and inspiring. yay to dee and di passion for mozzie nets! i am now a blog-slogger of dee!

    ReplyDelete