Wednesday 3 April 2013

Day 93 - sweet peas busting out with tulle butterflies.

Wednesday 3rd April

The most beautiful day on the island with blue skies and a deep blue sea.  The boys are all on their mainland adventure so I have had plenty of time to get on with things.  The focus this month is firmly located in the polytunnel with more sowing to be done and lots of potting on.  I chat away to my plants all the time and the dogs give me strange looks but I am not put off.  I love all my plants and if any die I take it personally.  Regular readers known about my passion for sweet peas.  If I don't have sweet peas in the house from July to September I have failed.  It is the measure of the growing season and I take it very seriously.  I always grow new varieties each year but I am drawn to the traditional varieties for their wonderful fragrance.  This year mine are busting out of their pots where they are supported by pea sticks.  They get planted inside and outside the tunnel in grow bags and they only need to be tied in on a regular basis.  They are so easy to grow.  The ones inside the tunnel will come on much quicker and will also not suffer from petal damage and so are perfect for my special occasion floristry work.  The ones outside are just for us. 

I get out to the tunnel for a couple of hours each day but the other focus of April is the launch of the Butterfly Tree fundraising campaign.  The studio opening tea party is the start and that is only weeks away now.  So, this afternoon I was in my studio, with the door open, makes butterflies from tulle and a bunch of fabric lavender hearts. 


They are all unique as no two are the same and they will look lovely on their little trees.  The boys are making the trees from branches on Hazelbank that they are spraying with paint before planting in enamel buckets all tied with ribbon.  The tulle butterflies are more difficult to make than I thought they would be so I am expanding my butterfly tea party plan to include other butterfly crafts.  That way people can choose what to make to suit their skills and interests.  All donations from the tea parties will go to the Butterfly Tree project in Zambia. 

I have some lovely people on the island making butterfly themed raffle prizes and they will also have the opportunity to showcase and sell some of their own work at the studio opening.  Donations are already starting to come in and we have not even launched  yet so I am thrilled.  I have done so many events now that I know it will all fall into place on the day and I am just not looking too closely at the 'to do' list. 

As I was leaving the studio I saw my very first butterfly of the season.  I promptly dropped my work basket while attempting to locate my phone to take a photograph.  Meanwhile the butterfly was long gone!  I took this shot instead to make the dropping of the work basket worthwhile!


I know you know it is not a real butterfly but just go with me on this occasion.  I have a very dear friend visiting in May for a week or so and we will be out every day doing a late spring, early summer photographic journal of the island and I will endeavour to photograph a real butterfly. 

Next job of the day is to plan my summer herb course.  It is one of my favourite courses of the year as I get to share my complete obsession with herbs.  We move from cultivation to use thrrough a variety of practical activities and we always finish by making a Tussie Mussie.  In case you don't know what it is it is a small posy of flowers and herbs.  Tussie Mussies have been around since mediveal times and I love the way they bring together cut flowers and herbs to release new fragrances.  I am a student of the language of flowers and in Victorian times Tussie Mussies were created with the meanings of the flowers and herbs offering a message.  They make lovely gifts and it is always such a therapeutic way to end the course. 

I do hope you are getting some lovely sunshine and I am relieved for our visitors to the island.  They must be having a wonderful time as the island continues to shine so brightly.

Until tomorrow. xx












No comments:

Post a Comment