Monday 18 March 2013

Day 77- A beloved heater and the sound of popping.

Monday 18th March

What an exciting and productive start to the week.  The wind would cut you in two on the island today and my few ventures out have been world record dashes before retreating back to the house.  However, it is all going to change.  I have a heater in my studio and the base of my day/meditation bed.  Granted, it is not one of those lovely romantic woodburners but it is a lovely heater and it will make a huge difference to my life.  I am already grateful to it.  I am having a gathering day when I move everything I need into the studio in order to immerse myself in the tasks required before the official opening at the end of April.  It would be fair to say that I am popping,

The main focus of the day, however, was to help Harry fill out a job application for a part time job locally.  As you might expect this filled him with joy and the experience was a little like pulling teeth.  That said, with gentle nudges from his mum, the deed was completed quite quickly and painlessly.  An important step for Harry as he begins to tackle the adult world and I can feel you all crossing your fingers for him so I won't ask. 

Max and George were engaged in another task for their spring journals.  From the start of this project we wanted to create a nature table.  We last did this quite a few years ago and we do miss having signs of the season in the house.  A nature table is capable of generating such interesting and creative learning.  I have impressed on the children the importance of good observational skills and this is where we start with the nature table.  Once the boys had toured the smallholding looking for some interesting spring specimens the nature table was constructed and viewing began.  The task appeared quite simple -

Choose 3 things from the table.  Imagine you have to describe what they are to a Martion.  Using your five senses as a guide, write a short description of each. 

This turned out to be more difficult than the boys thought it would be.  Translating using words as your tool is never as easy as we think it is going to be.  It is, however, a very good skill and the boys were completely focused on the task and the results were excellent.  George is especially good with adjectives and that is because he is huge reader.  Max is less keen on reading but his talent lies in his drawing skills and they came in useful next.  Having written their quite complex descriptions they then turned to a fresh page to produce labelled drawings of their subject matter.  They are both good at botanical drawing but Max does something with his efforts.  He instinctively puts a creative spin on them so they are never an exact copy of what he can see.  George's drawings are as a direct a copy as you could ever hope to see.

It is these subtle differences that you can pick up on when you home school.  Max is learning how to abstract while George is learning how to record accurately.  Both skills are highly relevant in our modern world and equally valued by us.  The children notice things about each other as well and  it is always a joy to listen to one of them telling me about their brother or sister.  They seem to know so much and that has help bind them into genuinely close and supportive relationsnhips.  In essence, they look out for each other and that is an enormous gift that I think they fully understand. 

After such a rewarding session we wanted to do something towards the Butterfly Tree charity project.  We try and do something most days because it is the only way to keep on track and realise our fundraising aspirations.  The project as a whole got a huge boost this morning when the editor of a local publication Voice for Arran agreed to feature the project.  I will be writing an introductory article to be published on 1st May after the opening but just as the project takes flight.  I then hope to keep readers updated with progress and, importantly, advertise the Butterfly Supper.  Before I start my begging phase if you know of a suitable venue to hold a charity supper event in September do let me know.  The thinking at the moment is for a set menu of buffet to offer guaranteed income for the venue and then the ticket will also include an additional £5.00.  Guests will get a beautifully decorated venue, entertainment and a goodie bag for that additional money.  Children in Zambia will get a mosquito net - a good exchange.......  We will also hold a grand raffle and I am saving my very best begging efforts for that aspect because I really do want jaw dropping prizes.  I never win anything on raffles so you can all rest easy. 

The boys have also moved the project on.  Mark and Russell from Coast gave me some vintage cups that have lost their saucers somewhere in their life journey.  Before you all shed a tear for the saucerless cups they have been given a new purpose as part of the Butterfly Tree project. 

They are going from this.....


To this (with a bit more decoration).......

 
We are hoping to persuade as many people as we have cups to take one and fill with loose change.  The boys added up how many 2p coins it could take and this would raise £2.76.  I have about 20 or so cups.  If all 20 people filled up their cups 6 times over the course of the project that would be over £300!!  I think that equals easy fundraising.  We plan to decorate the cups with ribbons and butterflies before handing them out at the studio opening.  Please form an orderly queue.  You get to keep the cup as a happy reminder of a very good deed. 

Speaking of good deeds I have completed my 37 gifts of kindness challenge.  How pleased am I?  I set this challenge up in response to getting to 2000 page views on this blog as it was my way of saying thank you for all the support.  I have managed to offer a gift of kindness every day since.  More importantly than that, I have figured out how to convert a kind thought into a deed and build this process into my daily life.  I am leaving the page up for a while in the hope that new people might stumble across it.  All 37 gifts of kindness are recorded on that page. 

I will be making a new page for the Butterfly Tree charity project soon so that we can all keep up to date with progress.  The project will be launched at the opening of my new, heated studio.  I am sending invitations out but if you read this blog you are SO invited!  Saturday 27th April 2-5.00pm.  Tea and lots of cake, truly fabulous raffle, butterflies for sale as well as a selection of locally made wonderful crafts.  The lovely Lynn will be conducting the formal bit around 2.15ish but come when you can.  It would be lovely to see as many of you as possible. 

Until tomorrow. xx




No comments:

Post a Comment