Tuesday 26 March 2013

Day 85 - day 5 without power

Tuesday 26th March

Day 5 without power and back in the Auchrannie for a shower and a catch up with the world.  How are you all doing out there?  It is a strange feeling now as some of the island has power and life has a degree of normality about it.  For others the normality is still about trying to find ways to keep warm. It is the cold that is the challenge as the east wind continues to blow, although not as cold as it has been.  I understand that there is more snow forecast so the priority is to get small generators out to all the village locations today.  Our smallholding is right on the edge of the village so I am hoping it will reach that far.  My heart goes out to those living in more isolated properties as they have no sense of when they will get any power.

It will also be weeks until Arran is back on full mains power, such is the damage from the snow.  People are coping because they have to and on the whole adjustments are made to get through each and every day.  The large hotels on the island have just flung their doors open to people for hot showers and space to be in the warm.  We can charge our laptops and the like and connect with the outside world.  Helicopters continue to fly overhead and the generators pop up all over the place.  This is not a cheap way to provide power.

The children are all coping really well and I haven't heard one complaint as they just get on with it.  I have felt better but I promised myself a long time ago never to let my illness drag me down and so this time is no different.  There are people much worse off and I always know that.

I do wonder how the generators will cope with the influx of visitors for Easter.  I know the islanders will give a warm welcome and do everything they can to make the holiday experience a good one.  Places are open but they are just running on as low power as they can and I am sure visitors will understand that.

I am a bit out of touch with the news but I did pick up that a little girl was killed when her buggy was hit by a van.  My heart goes out to the family at this most tragic of times.  I am sending all the blessings I can muster.

I am overwhelmed by the sheer number of messages I have received from all of you.  Within an hour of posting yesterday my little blog had had over 250 page views and that, in itself, lifted me.  As soon as power is restored I will be back blogging with pics and news of all my projects.  Things are all a little on hold but I am sure I will turn right side up very soon.  I feel like you are all friends now and we are one big virtual family.  Perfect!

Take care of yourselves and I hope for better news tomorrow.  Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment