Friday 29 March 2013

Day 88 - Limitless talent.

Friday 29th March

The sun is shining on the island as we all start the process of being reconnected to the mains.  We lost power again this morning and the common theory is that we all put the kettle on at the same time!  Tis quite possible.

While we wait for life on Arran to return to normal I am taking you on a short but much loved journey.  The journey is led by a local artist.  We have many wonderful artists on Arran who are fortunate to have the island as a constant source of inspiration.  I like nothing better than a wonder round a local exhibition to marvel at the standard of work.  However, for me there is one artist that shines the brightest of them all.  Her name is Angela Elliott Walker.

Her work is inspired by the island and she has created an 'Impressions Collection' and, more recently, a 'Mixed Media Collection.'  I think I have seen most of her work over the past few years as much of it is displayed in the Arran Art Gallery in Whiting Bay. 

Corrie captured my heart many moons ago and it remains my favourite part of the island.  The village hugs the shoreline as it weaves its way around the twists and turns that make it so distinctive. There is something incredibly 'organic' about the way the village has developed over time but it is the little fisherman cottages in the centre that draw your eye.  The replica viking ship in the tiny harbour becomes a 'stop and stare' moment as you breathe in the clean air that is so distinctive at this part of the island.  Corrie makes me stop everytime I plan to pass through.  There is a gentle calling from the place that I simply can't ignore.  Angela captures this completely in her impression painting of the village. 

Spot the viking ship at the bottom of the picture!  I have a print of this in my sitting room and I glance at it several times a day.  That is the point of art for me.  It is vital that you can make a connection and my connection with Angela's 'Impressions Collection' is always instant.  I get it instantly and it is as if all the details speak to me in a single second.  And then I have the joy of revisiting all those tiny details over and over again.  Angela captures the essence of a place and speaks it back to us and we are truly fortunate that she can translate that to the wider world beyond the island. 

More recently Angela has ventured into mixed media art and this is an obsession of mine.  For me mixed media work speaks in many languages and it takes time to understand the piece as a whole.  I do like a challenge.  I have been known to become rooted to the spot in the Douglas hotel where they have hung the mixed media piece of their wonderful building.  I have seen the piece 100 times or more but no matter.  To my complete joy Angela tackled Corrie through mixed media and the result is a piece of art that needs time to digest and engage with and there lies its talent. 

This interpretation of Corrie places the buildings in their natural context.  Mountains behind and see infront, the buildings offer a safe haven from which to view the world.  This piece leaves me with the impression that someone is watching me from one of those windows and they know so much more than I do about the enchantment that is 'Corrie'.  I could never live in Corrie as I would never get anything done.  It captivates me more than any other place I have ever visited. 

The combination of the two styles in art help define what is unique about the Isle of Arran.  The seemless organic 'Impression Collection' captures the essence of what makes it such a beautiful place.  The far more complex and challenging 'Mixed Media Collection' offers a variety of signposts for us to follow and interpret at our leisure.

As the island begins to return to normal after a very testing time I, once more, celebrate the conversations I have on a very regular basis with the work of Angela Elliott Walker.  We are blessed that she chose to live on Arran and translate our wonderful island beyond our shores. 

Many of you will be embarking on an Easter break now whereas my work schedule has taken a real hammering and I am now chasing deadlines.  Luckily I am good at chasing deadlines and I am fully right side up now and able to move at my normal pace.  Lots still to be done with my Friday.  Wishing you all a lovely Easter break.

Until tomorrow xx
































No comments:

Post a Comment