Sunday 10 March 2013

Day 69 - Flow and stillness, a lovely combination.

Sunday 10th March

At last Mother's Day has arrived and I can relax.  There is so much work involved for me at this time of year that when it is all over I can barely string two words together.  It is, of course, all worth it.  I had the largest cup of tea possible in bed while looking out the window at snow!  It didn't settle but it did snow on Mother's Day and I am going to claim that as my snow.  I am quite sure I have asked for it the most and I honestly thought I would go pop with the excitement of it.  The fact that it didn't settle just means you are deprived of photos of me sledging; I am sure you will cope. 

I promised some photos from the flower school yesterday. 



 The ladies all produced beautiful designs and I am quite confident they will do many more arrangements in the future. 

I think flower arranging is therapy for the soul.  It takes you to a calm place where you can press pause on life.  We all pressed our pause buttons and didn't press play again until we were done.  It is to be recommended. 

I am running my second flower school on Saturday 30th March from 2-4pm and we will be making Easter wreaths.  Do let me know if you would like me to reserve a place for you.

I also offer bespoke wedding flower courses for those of you who would like to take on some or all of your wedding flowers.


 

I have also started my illuminated letter for the Glasgow Women's library. It is a mixed media piece that attempts to celebrate two aspects of the work of Hannah Frank. As a former dancer and choreographer I see flow and stillness in all she created. Stillness in dance acts as a pause and, used properly, can be a highlight.  I see that in Hannah's work and it reminds me that life is full of beautiful pauses. But it is flow that dominates her work and my mixed media tribute. Using pastels as the primary media I have taken sections from her drawings and recreated them as small studies. I have added colour but kept the pallet limited in tribute to her simplicity. I then added small details such as liberty fabric which is dominated by flowing lines and wax resist watercolour organic shapes. The next step will be to create the letter before putting the finishing touches on the whole piece.

Hannah Frank was a truly wonderful artist and I am not. However, I see this opportunity to produce an illuminated letter as a way of paying tribute to an incredibly talented individual. I like to think Hannah would be pleased.  She gave me a wonderful way to spend the afternoon on Mother's Day. 

Each year I take on a new charity project and this year will be no exception.  Two years ago I had a bunch of us knitting squares for blankets for orphans in South Africa.  Last year we  made peg dolls for an orphange in Tibet.  After much searching I have found the charity I want to work with this year and this evening I will be putting the plan together.  I will share this on my blog in the hope that some of you will want to get involved.  I am, essentially, joining the campaign to eradicate malaria from Africa.  I have my own twist on it, as you might expect.  More once the plan makes sense. 

I took my lovely mum out for lunch after delivering flowers and a wee pressie.  We went to Coast in Whiting Bay.  Russell and Mark are two of my most favourite people in the world so you just know I am going to tell you all about it.  That will be for another day.

Until tomorrow. xx





















































 







 


No comments:

Post a Comment