Tuesday 12 March 2013

Day 71 - Pebbles in the sunshine & tulle butterflies.

Tuesday 12th March

70 days of blogging - who could I known I would get this far?  I am probably the most surprised and I like that. 

Beautiful, beautiful day on Arran and I snuck down to the beach on my own.  That is a real luxury but I did have a purpose!  I have set the date for my studio, opening assuming my guest of honour can attend.  I will publish it here as soon as it is confirmed.  It is however only a few weeks ago and I really must start creating some art and craft for the space otherwise it is all going be a bit sad.  I don't really do sad.  I used my gorgeous walk on the beach to contemplate what I might do.  My silk work is a dead cert but I do also want to include some of my favourite crafts.  A signature piece for me is the mosaic work I do with beach fragments so a walk on the beach was perfect.  I had collected too much as usual and my pockets were busting and then it came to me.  I want a sea fragment mobile for my little space but drilling sea glass is a bit beyond me.  Happily my dear friend, Assja, has mastered this and is just the person for the job.  That thinking led to more thinking which is always dangerous.  As well as producing my own arts and crafts I am going to ask a few other islanders to help.  Angie has already made me a wonderful cushion for my chair and a peg bag and pegs for my notice board.  If Assja can make me a mobile there are others I can ask as well.  It will be lovely for the official opening to involve other creative people as I will be using the space for small creative courses throughout the summer.  It was a useful walk on the beach....


I have made some more progress with our butterfly tree fundraising campaign.  Here are the activities that we have planned -


Six strand strategy
The cornerstone of the project is handmade tulle butterflies.  Below is how they will feature -

  1. At the studio opening tea party – raise funds by asking for donations for tea and cake, sell butterflies and raise additional funds from butterfly raffle.  Each person leaves with a butterfly and a packet of wildflower seeds.
Important to recruit up to 6 people for first butterfly afternoon. 
  1. Host a butterfly afternoon where a small group come together to learn how to make butterflies.  Tea and butterfly cakes to be provided.  Course fee £10.00 – all proceeds to charity. Roll this out as far as possible. 
  2. Sell butterfly starter kits with all profits to charity.
  3. Ask course members to host their own butterfly afternoon as above with £10.00 pp for fund
  4. Approach retailers to include a butterfly tree in their shop to sell the butterflies.  All proceeds to charity.
  5. Host a butterfly evening to complete the project to include set menu, butterfly decorations, butterflies and kits for sale, butterfly raffle & other ideas to be added.  Ticket only to include goodie bag. 
But every project needs help and we are no exception.  You can be sure that the Doubleday family will work really hard to raise as much money themselves but I am hoping some of you might like to help??!!
How can I help?
Lots of ways would be the answer to that.  You can make butterflies to sell to family and friends.  You can host a butterfly afternoon.  You can attend the studio opening on Hazelbank and/or the butterfly evening.  You can donate raffle prizes with a butterfly theme.  You can donate wildflower seeds.  You can bake cakes! 
What we need -
Lots of enthusiasm!  A venue for our butterfly evening. 
If you can help with any aspect do let me know and we can chat.  Thank you so much.
 
 
At last I have my new camera so it will go everywhere with me now and the boys and I are off to Lochranza later this week so expect pictures. 
 
Until tomorrow. xx

 
 










 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment