Wednesday 29 May 2013

Day 149 - Jigging, jumping and all bound up in the moment. xx

Wednesday 29th May

Regular readers will know that I am jumping on my little island.  My special girl is on her way home and the family will assume its usual dynamic.  That is another year finished at university and now she has to wait for her results.  Meantime she will sleep, eat chocolate and watch dvds as is her way for the first few days at home.  This time though she needs to recharge as she has a busy summer ahead of her.  I am thrilled that she will be blogging her way through the different experiences and I will set up the link in due course. 

I hadn't realised that those of you in England were not getting the series Hebrides - islands on the edge.  I can not recommend it enough so if they put it onto dvd do treat yourselves.  In school today we watched the final episode which was about the relationship between people and their natural environment.  It was a fascinating glimpse of a time far removed from mainland living.  One of the enormous benefits about living on small island is you seem to have a bit more control.  I am not sure we islanders on Arran have that as so many decisions are made by North Ayrshire Council and not all of them good for Arran.  I think it is different in the Hebrides and it felt different watching the programme today. 

My word for today is harmony.  The people of the Hebrides are in greater harmony with the natural world because, I feel, they are more in tune.  They are just too far away to be influenced by mainland agendas and that is apparent in almost every example shown today.  We were introduced to a range of people who have all learned to live in harmony with their surroundings.  My favourite person was the farmer who has lived there all his life.  Every year the geese arrive in their thousands from Iceland and every year they graze in the cherished lush pasture that the farmer sets aside for his cattle.  20 geese eat the same amount as one cow so they fairly chomp away.  Without a solution this situation can only ever bring conflict between humans and the geese.  A particularly insightful RSPB ranger explained how the organisation had bought up land to make as a protected reserve for the geese but on the Hebrides they have gone further.  The Scottish government pay the farmers compensation for the damage the geese do to the finances of the farming model.  The farmer explained how challenging this balance can be but then said how he loved the geese and looked forward to their return every spring.  He has made his farm work alongside the geese and even understood how they had become a tourist attraction, thus bringing in increased revenue to the island. 


The farming community on the Hebrides know the importance of resting pasture and often leave fields for several years to rest and recover.  Intensive farming methods have so much to answer for elsewhere in the world.

 The Machair on the Isle of Lewis is world famous for its fertile soil and unique habitats.  The fields are fertilised with seaweed from the beaches and this is the result! 

The entire programme was inspirational as it showed so many examples of people living in harmony with their surroundings.  Of particular significance to us on Arran was the change in fishing practices.  The COAST team on Arran have successfully preserved whole areas of the seas around the island as No Take Zones.  This is to allow for the marine environment to recover from over fishing.  This was especially important for the sea bed after too many years of dredging for scallops.  Around Arran we are seeing breath taking levels of recovery and the Hebrides are finding the same.  We were introduced to some of their fisherman who catch crabs and lobsters with creels and only collect scallops through diving.  The divers leave the young scallops to mature thus operating sustainable fishing methodologies.  Once again the islanders remain in tune with their natural environment. 

My interest in the Hebrides has been with me for many years but it is now at an all time high.  The boys and I have so enjoyed finding out about the islands and in the next 12 months I will visit the Isles of Eigg and Lewis and will report back.  I feel the need to give some careful consideration to these visits to ensure that I make the most of them.  Obviously my environmental writing will be fed by the time spent there but I also want to understand the people and their everyday relationships with their environment.  I am particularly interested in people who use their environment in some way in their way of life from crofting to art and everything in between.

Just had a text to say Molly and Pete are on the earlier ferry.  Jumping and jigging!

After school I entertained my two adorable nieces while my brother was at a meeting.  My mum pitched in and the girls made flags for the children in Zambia and then began their first journal page. 

They are such lovely girls and they made wonderful flags and enjoyed the experience.  I quietly talked to them about the experiences of children in Zambia and how different their lives are.  'One conversation at a time'.

Watching my mother teaching Rachael how to sew her flag reminded me of my Grandmother teaching me.  This is so important as it is the natural order of things and how we pass skills on. 

My brother arrived and brought his very important looking camera with him so I had a quick go.  OMG do I need a camera like that?  There is going to be some serious saving of pennies here so that I have one in time for my trip to the Hebrides next year.  I do like a target to aim for. 





 Today reminded me how important the 'moment' is in life.  Sitting sewing with my nieces was just lovely and how grateful I am that my teachings in recent years have taught me to live in the moment. 

I am quite preoccupied with living in the moment having just read Earth Pilgrim again.  Anyone that can walk 8,000 miles has to commit to the journey and let the destination take care of itself.  There was a time where planning ruled my life but not now.  I still plan but I do it in a much more organic way that allows projects to find me.  I think this is because I too have learnt to appreciate the journey and to remember it is only one foot in front of another and one step at a time.  For me Satish Kumar is one of the most important teachers to grace our planet and I, for one, am listening very carefully.

Until tomorrow. xx


No comments:

Post a Comment