Saturday 18 May 2013

Day 138 - How many mosquito nets can we buy so far?

Saturday 18th May



We appear to had our sunshine stolen and it has been replaced by lots and lots of rain.  So plans to work outside were rather abandoned in favour of jobs in the house.  Yesterday was, however, absolutely glorious and, for the first time this year, I was driven out of the tunnel as it was too hot! 

My first picture shows what happens when you give  your chives a regular hair cut.  They reward you with stronger growth and glorious purple flowers.  These ones just outside my backdoor are just about to burst.  I had a little word and told  them to hang on a few days and then they will put the ones at Chelsea to shame! 

The boys and I completed our second nature walk of the season yesterday and recorded lots off new growth.  The walk across the field was rewarded with the first of the bluebells in the woods.  Much of our 10 acres is woodland and these are the areas that get less sunshine.  The wild garlic is finishing up for the year and the bluebells are replacing them.












When the weather is this lovely there is not else to do.....

Home school was therefore relocated outside!






Later that day I managed a quick visit to photograph the Butterfly Tree crafts in situ in Bay News in the village. 


 All we need now is some lovely people to start buying.  If anyone reading this knows of any little shops who would be willing to help we can post out a little box of butterfly crafts complete with a little tree for display. 

Finally, we found time to count the money although I think Pete will have to do it again because I am not confident!  It would appear we are over £260 already and I make that 52 mosquito nets!  How utterly marvellous is that?  Thank you so much to all who are helping push this total onwards.  The little vintage cups to collect the pennies are doing a wonderful job all by themselves!  People don't miss 2ps and 1ps and I don't know anyone who likes those awful 5ps so it is all coming our way.  Can I possibly ask everyone to do what I just did?  I emptied pockets and handbags (won't confess to how many handbags) and found £2.56 lurking in the little recesses.  I obviously don't need it if it is not in my purse so it has gone in our little vintage cup.  That is half way towards another mosquito net.  This is how it is done, me thinks.  When I started this campaign I said that, given the current economic climate, I wanted lots of people to pledge small amounts rather than few people pledging large amounts and I think this is working. 

You can, of course, donate using my big blue button at the top of my blog and that would be wonderful as well. 

I am still taking orders for our little tulle butterflies.  They are just £1.00 each so if you donate £5.00 online I can send you your five by post.  You can then give them out to family friends.  Each one comes with a thank you message from the Butterfly Tree. 

We have a thank you dinner party tonight to thank four people who have supported our little campaign from the beginning.  It is so important to say thank you because we really are grateful.  I am not cooking as Pete is doing one of his wonderful Thai curries and George is currently working on the chocolate cake to end all chocolate cakes. 

My day has been one of those days when you just know the rain is on for thee day so you flit (in my case plod) around doing lots of little jobs that should have been done ages ago. 

Some of you have already emailed me answers to my little quiz but there is plenty of time as entries close on Friday.  See yesterdays post.

I do hope the rest of you are not getting rain like us and that you are having a lovely weekend.  A heads up to all of you who love gardens and  flowers.  The Chelsea Flower show preview show is tomorrow at 5pm on BBC1 - bottoms on sofas time complete with very large mug of tea and dunking biscuits.  Expect the blog posts to be completely dominated by Chelsea and I will warn you that I have an opinion on everything!  For those plant bonkers people like me do message or comment your views and let's see if we agree!

Until tomorrow.  xx










No comments:

Post a Comment