Friday 10 May 2013

Day 130 - frothy pools with a dash of a new idea.

Friday 10th May

With the showers and sunshine Jan and I began our day with a trip to the Spa for a swim and a sauna.  We were lucky enough to have a little look round their new spa rooms.  OMG you all need to come to Arran to visit our new spa because it will take your breath away.  The Auchrannie spa resort has done it again!  Well done them.  The relaxation room can't fail to do its job before you even go for a treatment and then there is use of the pool and sauna and then a private area for lunch.  What is there not to like? I am probably at the stage when I need to throw some more things at my illness if this body is to keep moving so the new spa has come along just at the right time.  The deep leg massage will probably hurt like hell but if it gets me moving a bit better I don't mind the pain.  The Indian head massage could be something worth trying as well.  Can you sense a bit of a list building?  I will keep you posted.

Sadly the swim was not what it should have been.  On entering, the pool was completely empty and I got that feeling of the cat getting the cream.  That was not to last.  At first one or two teenagers emerged out of the changing rooms and then it became something like you see on a nature programme.  Hormonally charged teenagers seeped out the changing rooms in their dozens and threw themselves in the water making the most dramatic splash possible.  Their swimming experience then involves dunking one another to create more splash and running in the water to get in the way of anyone trying to swim.  This is not my swimming experience and I sensed we were slightly incompatible.  Easing myself out of the now frothy swimming pool I headed to the sauna and managed, despite the noise, to complete a deep meditation and so save the visit. 

Lunch was lovely before heading off to the castle.  I know.....again!  Jan had been last time she was up and loved it so we dodged the showers to enjoy the emerging gardens.  You already know that no castle visit is complete without tea and cake before a nip round the plant nursery and gift shop.  A couple of little jobs on the way home and the day was complete.  It was a shame about the swimming experience but it didn't spoil the day.  It was a very girly day and I feel quite recharged. 

A couple of things to say before I forget.  Firstly, something rather wonderful seems to have developed out of the Butterfly Tree fundraising campaign.  People have picked up the idea of making prayer flags and I have a growing number coming in to send to Jane to take to the children in Zambia to help decorate their new spaces.  Thank you so much for all your creative efforts.  This has led to an idea....

I would like to see if I can create a small team of people who would be willing to make as many different prayer flags as possible and send them to me.  I will then feature them on my Scottish island mum facebook page and the highest pledge will win it.  That person can then donate through My Donate page and I will send them the prayer flag to keep.  I can't make this work on my own as I just don't have enough hours in the day but if 3 or 4 people could help through the summer that would be fabulous.  You just make as many as you can as all will help bring money in for this amazing charity. 

If you think you could spare some time  over the next few months do message me and I will give you the dimensions and the rest is up to your imagination! 

The second is to thank all of you who took time to message me about the Creative Arran pieces I have published the last couple of days.  Writing on location is one of the favourite forms of writing for me.  It helps me to connect with places in a much deeper and more personal way.  Arran is beautiful but it has to be more than that for me.  It has to speak to me in some way and in order for that to happen I have to find a way to listen.  Writing has helped me find a way to do that and that is such a blessing.  On the strength of the fabulous feedback I will now feel more able to pick this project up and move to publication.  The book will include writing tips and exercises that I have used to help me both connect with the island and create the pieces.  The point is that I hope the book will be of use to anyone hoping to connect with where they live in a more meaningful way as well as those who want to improve their writing skills.  My ebooks will be made available from my new site 'One soul, many hearts' later in the year. 

As it is Friday I will finish the week with a piece I wrote in situ at the Castle.  I have just read it back and I can't think what prompted this piece but I do know the exact spot I sat in when writing it.  That is the joy of writing on location as you never quite know where the experience will take you.  If you do know in advance you are probably not letting the location speak to you. 


On the Edge

 

If you sit on the edge do you feel on the edge?

Are you on the edge of the world, your life or your mind?

What space do you inhabit on the edge and how does it make you feel?

I sit quite firmly on the edge on a large tree stump and look out across Brodick bay.  The sea is still and calm but I am not.  I am full of rushed feelings and damaged emotions.  I have empty spaces inside me that I can’t fill and the air is escaping through the holes.


As I sit the world surrounds me.  Visitors come and go chattering as they explore the Bavarian summer house.  Mostly they missed the edge and the view that fell off it.  The view that held onto the juxtaposition of land and water, creating more edges for us to explore.  Maybe we don’t want to explore edges. 

We will come and go but the edge will remain; strong and stark and completely unafraid.  I am afraid.  I am afraid to get off the edge and step into the unknown.  A space that I have yet to inhabit and make my own.  If I stay on the edge I will not be comfortable but I will be safe.

Slowly, as I gaze at the view it begins to seep into my soul through my restless eyes.  As it enters my eyes they begin to relax and I notice that my breathing has relaxed.  It is more even than I remember it before.  Still I gaze in wonder at the beauty of nature.  A blackbird perches on a thin branch and looks at me looking at him.  Does he know I am on the edge?  His edge looks more precarious than mine but he looks content.  Maybe if I stay on my edge I will find contentment. 

I raise my eyes again and see the gentle current of the sea and will it to carry me away.  Then I wouldn’t have to step off; I would be carried away……

I suddenly notice the cloud formation, all puffy and white, creating spaces to move through and linger for a while.  I remain on the edge.  Below is a steep drop down to the road where an occasional car drives past disturbing nature’s natural chorus.  If I just tipped forward, ever so slightly, I would fall off my edge and roll away.  My rolling would be out of control and painful.  Maybe that is the pain that is waiting for me; the pain I deserve.

One long last look as some more people arrive and steal my space, but not my edge.  As I pack up my bag and fold over my journal I prepare to leave.  Almost without sound I leave but my feet make no sound.  I turn round and see myself sitting on the edge looking out to sea.

Only one final thing to say.....welcome home to our lovely Lynn - quite a battle this lady is having but she is so winning. 

Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment