Monday 13 May 2013

Day 133 - Come and join me....xx

Monday 13th May

Rain has stopped play with a small retreat to bed but no matter as I am deep into the writing of my new course 'Meditation through Writing' and I can do that while resting.  I am not sure my brain ever truly rests anyway!  My lovely father used to stay up into 'the wee small hours' before going to bed as he stood more chance of actually sleeping then.  I am like my father. 


This morning I was brighter so we pushed on with home school following my few days off to be with the lovely Jan.  We set about making prayer flags to add to the growing pile to be sent out to Zambia to decorate their new spaces.  I know some of you are busy thinking up creative designs for a prayer flag to be auctioned at some point before the end of the campaign and I am hugely grateful for these efforts.  The flags that the boys and I are doing are much quicker to make as quantity is required as well as quality! 

The boys have done so much sewing in home school that I rarely have to help which means I can join in.  As the heavy shows battered the windows we sewed and chatted about the significance of prayer flags.  This kind of informal learning is always so incredibly valuable as the new knowledge seems to set in the brain much easier. 



We all know prayer flags to be an aspect of Tibetan Buddhism but they were actually used much earlier in India.  The Buddhists believe that it is the wind that carries the message so we chose our messages well.  George embroidered the word 'Light,' Max chose 'Soul' and I chose 'Earth'.  Quite a nice combination as it turned out.  We talked about the significance of colours and chose them carefully as well.  George chose a lot of blue threads to represent space and I thought that was great lateral thinking from the word light. 

George and I managed to complete our flag today and we plan to do one a week until September.  Max's flag depicts the empty body once the soul has left and his complex design means it will take longer to sew.  Only Max!

If you want to make either flags for the children or the one off flags for auction please do get in touch as we need all the help we can get!  Watching the boys sewing reminds me why we do these things.  Their thought and care is captured in every stitch and I had a real 'proud mummy' moment. 

My Meditation through Writing outline appears to have been well received by those I managed to send it out to yesterday. More outlines are going to drop into inboxes today and I have also posted it on this blog under a separate page on the top menu.  We don't begin the course until the 12th June so there is plenty of time to add your name to the list.  Please remember that this first offering of the entire course is free!  I have our lovely David working on some images for us, for which I am so grateful. 

The main development to grow out of this blog 'One soul, many hearts' is beginning to find a shape in my mind.  It is also starting to push its way to the front of my mind which is interesting in itself as it wasn't due for launch until towards the end of the year.  Sometimes the inner voice just asserts itself and what can a girl do?  Despite having some strong ideas for the focus of this new site and something of a shape occurring I am hoping for an inclusive site.  I am looking for people to join me.  It might be for a single article, a poem or a single photograph, for example.  Or it might be for a regular contribution and everything else in between.  I am looking for writers, photographers, artists, filmmakers and anyone else I haven't yet thought of! 

The focus of the new site is a 'force for good' and I will ensure that the sites features an endless of stream of positivity that, I hope, will uplift us all.  One soul many hearts has grown out of the virtual community that is 'Scottish island mum' and I hope many of you will make a contribution at some point in this new journey.  I also hope that you might spot things that shout positivity and tip me off to take a look for consideration for the site.  Charity work will be an important feature of the site with one large campaign taking centre stage.  That said, I will always be on the look out to feature other campaigns to help drum up support.  If you want to chat about any possible involvement please message me.  Many thanks.

In time, I expect 'One soul many hearts' to become the focus of my virtual life.  It will allow me to bring together the various strands of my writing and teachings into one portal as distance learning short courses and ebooks.  I am not a fan of modern journalist who drift into embellishment and fantasy.  I am, however, a fan of writers who tell real stories that capture real goodness and these stories are so in my sights.  I am hoping my lovely daughter, Molly, will contribute stories from the animal kingdom that lift our hearts and give us hope.  She is starting an animal conservation blog in the summer to track her various wildlife placements between June and September.  Some obvious copy to steal there! 

I am working on my little quiz for my giveaway to celebrate 10,000 page views but it is proving a challenge.  Some of you know me from before Scottish island mum so I don't want you guys to have an advantage!  You can rest easy in the knowledge that none of my family can win..... not even you Mother!

Signing off with a silent prayer for an old friend who is battling cancer.  She would not want to be named and I would not want to name her.  But taking this small moment to wish her a very speedy recovery.  Blessings to you all.

Until tomorrow. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment