Tuesday 7 May 2013

Day 127 - a sprinkle of determination is all that is required.

Tuesday 7th May

Now the bank holiday is over the sun has come out.  Lucky for me that I work for myself so I have most of this week off as a friend has arrived from Derbyshire.  So, bring on the sunshine. 

The morning was spent writing my flower course for Saturday and then in the tunnel.  My mother joined me and organised me, like only a mother can do.  Everything looks so good now but we do need Jack Frost to stay away. 

 



Picking Jan up from the ferry in glorious sunshine made the island shine so brightly.  Small boats criss-crossing the bay and all seemed well in the world.  After lunch Jan and I went for a lovely long walk along the beach counting our blessings the whole way as the weather was so warm.  Catching up on 18 months of news takes some time so we weren't exactly in a hurry.  I don't really do hurry now and Jan didn't seem to mind. 

There is a walk I do want to give a try while Jan is here.  I want to try and get up to Glen Ashdale Falls and tis possible!  It is a gentle walk to begin with but then it becomes a bit of a steep climb.  The following piece was written the last time I was up there in 2011.  The postscript is what happened on the way down and if that lady could do the walk so can I.  I will keep you posted.  Walking is very good for the soul and I use it in my meditation practice. 

Until tomorrow. xx
 
A walk with Meditation in May- Glen Ashdale Falls
 
 

There is wild garlic everywhere, blossom on the ground and bluebells at a late party, but the water is coming.  You can feel it in the wind as the air traps its smell and throws out the smell of the garlic.  The water is coming.

There is a climb; there is no doubt about that.  To begin the climb is not a climb.  It is a gentle undulating stroll and you are grateful for that beginning.  You know it is all yet to come.

Set your camera to take ‘all green shots’ if you can because it is virtually all green.  Visit on a day after the rains because then you will feel the force.  It is not just the sense of water coming, it is a sense of real force and that is what is so impressive about this place.  As you walk you have time to prepare for the climb.  Let the climb come in its own time but be ready.  Water is still coming.


You can see a bridge ahead and it is a welcome pause as you take photographs.  It is like the calm before the storm and you know that.  You can feel it.  The water has begun its story and suddenly there is nothing else.  Listen.

Around the winding bend you take first sight of the climb.  Take a sharp intake of breath but let it release slowly, almost too slowly.  Fix your gaze on the climb and begin.  Focus your feet as you walk through the pine corridor.  Each footprint makes an imprint that says ‘you have been there’.  One step after another and your heart is swelling.  Try not to skip breath, shorten, but don’t skip.  Stop every so often and stand quite still.  Take a deep breath and hold it for a second and then gently let it go.  As it leaves your body take your next step.  Repeat as often as necessary to get to the top as you must get to the top.  The water is coming.
 
 

You come to some steps, too many for comfort but they are there and they need to be climbed.  Think of them as a single step and once you have taken that step you will see the water.  Isn’t that what this is all about?

You will reach a wooden viewing platform and you can just make out the falls as you step on to it.  Nothing I can say will prepare you for the water.  Just look, listen, taste and feel…….

 
 
 
 
 
 
The water beats at the heart of this place and you have joined it.  You have stepped into its world and you can stay as long as you like.  The water is here.

By concentrating on nothing but the water you will perhaps gain some perspective.  You may even understand your place, but whatever you feel, let yourself feel it.  Wrap that feeling up very carefully because you will want to feel it again.

Walking away from the viewing platform you leave some of the drama behind but none of the story.  Walk on until you reach a bridge that crosses the water.  There is a picnic bench for you to use.  Take some time to rest and listen to the story as it seeks new ways through the impermeable rocks.  Consider your route and give some thought to your pathway.  Just as the water finds its way through so will you.  The water knows there is no point in trying to break through the rock so it finds its own way around and you must do the same. 

 
 
Leave this place when you are ready and begin your descent.  That is an altogether different journey and you will feel that in your body.  Your heart will calm after the drama of the water but your knees will tell your story.  Descending is not always easy and I fear we are not always very good at it.  Compared to the climb it comes too easy to us so we tend to rush it.  Resist that temptation and take your time.  If you have chosen your day as I did the morning mist will be clearing and the sun will welcome you down.

It is a good walk.  It is, at times, physically demanding but you made some mindful space for it and, as with all good walks, it rewarded you.  Take that reward and lock it away safely.  It is your memory of the waterfalls that will live within you.  Take it out every so often to remind yourself of your place in this world and consider your pathway through it.

Postscript
I met a party of walkers on my descent.  They were led by a woman with two sticks and they were taking their pace from her.  That was right.  I had my journal in my hand and she enquired what I used it for.  I told her I was a writer and I was trying to capture the walking experience that is, Glen Ashdale Falls.  She asked me if I might read it and I did. 

When I had finished she just smiled and turned to her fellow walkers and said ‘I suggest we stop talking, we are missing so much’ and with that she began her climb again.  She made it to the top, I know she did.

Sometimes all you have left is determination but that is fine - it is all you need. 


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment