Saturday 12 October 2013

Day 285 - Inspirational writing raises the roof. xx

Sunday 12th October

I am working my way slowly through the day catching up on all the things that were neglected in the days leading up to the launch of One soul many hearts.  I am now on the sofa with a blanket and a cat and half watching old movies.  I can't remember when I did that last.  I have had a lovely morning in the cold autumn sunshine sorting out my tunnel and harvesting the last of the green tomatoes for chutney making tomorrow.  Green tomato chutney is then left until Boxing Day when we have it with cold cuts and cheese and it is one of my favourite Christmas moments. 


From Monday all attention will swing towards making my Christmas crafts for the events in November and December and I am quite looking forward to the change in tasks.  It may seem far too early to be talking Christmas but it isn't in our family.  We make homemade presents for family and friends so we have to be organised.  We always choose a theme to work around and this year it is the humble reindeer.  We only know a little about this lovely creature so we have lots ahead of us.  The theme will filter through into home school, present making and into the big day itself.  Now is the time to brainstorm and do some initial research and the boys have already come up with some fantastic ideas. 

We are hoping to coppice some willow in November if the weather has been cold enough to strip it of leaves.  We are obviously still buying in most of our wreath bases this year while our willow crop establishes and I have the designs for this year more or less sorted.  I usually run several wreath making workshops but this year I am going to consolidate this into just one as I really can't fit anymore in.  With my trusty partner, Angie, we are taking a stand at Santa Sparkle at the end of November.  This is our largest Christmas event on the island so I need to make sure I have enough stock by then.  I have an event before then to take into consideration as well so lots to get on with.  I pull the boys in when I need to and they can earn some extra money so that is useful. 

I have been overwhelmed by the feedback for One soul many hearts and have passed it on to all who contributed to making the launch such a success.  I think I am finally understanding the potential reach of this site when I analyse the feedback that has already come in.  The feeling seems to be that it presents itself as a 'magazine' where readers are drawn to specific sections and I like that.  I think the sections all have the potential for growth and development as does the concept as a whole.  The heartbeat of the site is, without doubt, the page sharing Inspirational Writing and the launch piece contributed by April appears to have hit the target as it has drawn the most feedback.


I smiled when I read comments from April's friends on facebook who clearly didn't know she had that in her.  I taught April as an undergraduate and knew exactly what she was capable of but this strikes at the heart of what I am trying to do.  I am completely driven by a desire to encourage and capture the best writing and creative thinking from people who may never have thought they could offer up anything in response to this ambition.  Regular readers will already know that I wrote the first dance degree that allowed non-dancers to apply as I believed that creativity and original thinking was at the heart of the course and that the skills of learning to dance would come easily to such applicants. 

I feel it might be history repeating itself with One soul many hearts as I hope I have created a space where people can share their creativity in a supportive and encouraging context.  We shall see.  I am going to let the site sit for a while for people to have time to fully engage with it and for me to have time to promote it.  After which it will be updated on a very regular basis and supported by a free newsletter.  You can subscribe to the newsletter on the home page and this will keep you up to date with the developments of the site.  So, it is an exciting time and, if I am honest, I am trying to let any developments speak to me in their own time.  I am not very good at that so it will be good for me.  With over 2000 page views on the site already I shall have to listen to the readers very carefully.

Molly is at Nottingham Trent university today on a postgraduate open day.  This is her number one place for a masters course as it works so closely with research into endangered species.  I do hope it goes well.  This is the only masters of its type in the country so competition will be tough but her usual fearless attitude will help her put in a strong application and then we shall have to wait and see. I will be seeing my girl soon as she turns 21 at the beginning of November.  I begin my trip down with a visit to Donna in time for Paul's memorial service and then head up to Lincoln to see my girl.  It will be so good to catch up with her and all that she is up to. 


Today has been a settling type of day and I am restored as a result.  Do let me know what you think of One soul many hearts and if you would like to make a contribution I would love to hear your ideas. 

Until tomorrow.  xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment