Sunday 15 December 2013

Day 349 - time for new dreams. xx

Sunday 15th December

I understand that a ferry has just left full of very worried looking passengers!  The videos doing the rounds of the one last night trying to get into Ardrossan was shocking. Tilting doesn't come close to describing it and I am very pleased that I wasn't on it.  The weather has been truly shocking and is now how most people imagine Arran to be.  It is also proving to be relentless with storms due every day this coming week.  When they give a storm a name you know you are in trouble and next week we can look forward to 'Emily' arriving bringing with her winds of 100 miles an hour.  This Scottish island mum is not very big and I have been blown over a number of times on this island so I will not be venturing out when Emily arrives. 

The stormy weather is in contrast with our family life at the moment as we all take a little time out.  The chatting is underway as we catch up with Molly and her life at university and the mince pies are often found in the oven waiting for their next offering of Christmas joy.  My energy seems to have rather deserted me at the moment but that always happens when I take a break. 

I am so pleased with the feedback from my post yesterday on goodwill boxes.  They really are the easiest thing to do but they have an enormous impact.  Sometimes we all need to know that people care and that they have taken time to do something to lift our spirits.  I couple of emails made me giggle when they asked if I ever needed a goodwill box.  I am as vulnerable as the next person  but I am also very positive and it takes a lot for me to get down.  The only time I struggled for any length of time was after my father died.  The year that followed was really tough and I was unprepared for the depth of the unhappiness.  That said, it is part of life and I just got on with it in the certain knowledge that it would get easier and it did. 


When times are rough in life it is so important to go with the flow of that time and give yourself space to absorb and think things through.  We seem to spend our whole lives rushing and I can never figure out why.  The changes I have made in the last few years have taught me how to slow down and live in the moment.  I used to spend my whole life thinking of the future but now I let the future take care of itself.  Life is designed as a journey and like all good journeys you want it to be both stimulating and comfortable.  That is what I aim for in life.  I like to create stimulating opportunities that will truly engage me but I also like to be comfortable and that seems more important as I get older. 

I am working on a resource pack for the concept of 'renewal' at the moment that followers of One soul many hearts can access in January.  January is one of my favourite months as it is the quietest on the smallholding and this gives me time to renew myself.  In 2014 Pete and I will both turn 50 and it seems appropriate to take some time out to reflect on where we have come from to reach this point.  I am planning to take the year to create a hard copy journal of our year that reflects both 2014 and significant milestones along the way.  Our beloved Molly is due to graduate in September and in June we will have paid off all that we owe and be completely debt free. This, I think, will be very liberating because we will be beholding to know one except our children, of course. 

Although we are not really into planning both Pete and I are mindful to spend some time travelling and we may not have the luxury of time due to my illness.  We are not upset about that because we will do what we can and not worry about what we can't do.  Pete and I are both keen to give back to society as much as we can and I think this aspiration will open some very interesting doors for us. In time, we are also keen to downsize to the smallest space possible and to live as simple a life as possible.  So, 2014 will be a year to start making new dreams and allowing them to sit for a while.  I think it will be a watershed year and I am so looking forward to it.

But  right now I just want to remember what a lovely family I have and hold them all very tight indeed.

Until tomorrow. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment