Wednesday 5 June 2013

Day 156 - Am I just moving pots around?


Wednesday 5th June


Another warm sunny day on the island.  Do you think Mother Nature knows I have a plant sale this weekend?  The sun is bringing out all the flowering plants just in time. 

I spent perhaps my favourite evening ever on Hazelbank yesterday.  The thing about blogging is it brings out the ideas that have been lurking in the back of your mind for ages.  Yesterday, I blogged about the need to be more systematic about my recording of plant species on Hazelbank and it got me thinking.  By now we all know how dangerous that is!

After supper I retreated to my studio with a book that I have read before but quite a few years ago.  Flowers of the Countryside by Marjorie Blameys is a fascinating account of native wildflowers.  Marjorie wrote this book in the 1980s and it was certainly ahead of its time.  In it she warns of the dangers of removing native wildflowers while introducing invaders from overseas.  We should have listened because we are paying the price now. 

Using the book as a guide I have drawn up a recording system for Hazelbank that will allow us to note all the plant species on the smallholding.  I also began to consider the need to bring this scientific exercise together with my art work.  I always have to balance everything with a creative exercise as it keeps my soul in good shape. 

Marjorie’s book deals with science and folklore and the balance makes for an interesting read.  She came to wildflowers through detailed and accurate paintings which are also included in the book.  I have in my mind some watercolour cards from plant species on Hazelbank.  Luckily for me the book also outlines sketching techniques.  Flower pressing is also a way of recording that the book advocates and, as I do that already, that will be included in the recordings on Hazelbank. 

There is a phrase that I was drawn to –

‘Eventually we shall leave this world as we entered it, surrounded by flowers’ (Blamey 1980)

Of course, she is referring to the flowers given to new mums and funeral flowers.  I am working hard to extend my cut flower stock so that my flower voice can be a little stronger on the island.  Generally people avoid working with wildflowers as they wilt so easily.  That said, if you know how to condition them properly they have a much longer vase life.  I think I will make more effort to use wildflowers in my posies and see what the feedback is.  The plant sale this weekend will provide the perfect event for sharing this renewed intention. 

So, last evening I achieved more than I could have imagined by simply removing myself to the studio.  When the light faded too much to read I settled onto my day bed with a glass of wine and listened to the songbirds saying night night to each other.  A truly memorable evening.  My studio has enabled me to move my work on in ways I could not have imagined so I was right to pester for one all those years. 

My first month pdf for my meditation through writing course is almost complete.  It came surprisingly easy in the end and being in the studio surrounded by nature made it possible.  I am bringing nature into the course as a stimulus for meditation so the studio was absolutely the best place to write it. 

Today has been all about the plant sale at the weekend with lots of moving plants trying to decide what I am going to sell and what I am going to keep.  This is not easy because most of my plants are grown from seed or cuttings and are my babies!  I will be conservative for the Saturday and see how sales go and top up if necessary.  I am busting out of my polytunnel so there is no excuse for not selling.  We have sold potted plants for years but I think this might be our last year.  I want to concentrate on developing the smallholding so that the business comes from the value added.  Cutting fresh for flower arrangements or drying for other creative projects captures my imagination more than simply growing potted herbs.  We shall see what this winter brings because we shall need to create many more raised beds if we are to replace the income from the plant sales.  You simply can not afford to stand still in business and I do feel changes starting to emerge.  Time will tell.

This is, of course, how I spend my holidays from home school!  I have to cram as much in as possible in these times but I am more than used to that by now.  Molly goes to her first professional placement on Saturday which is working at a wildlife rescue centre.  She will be getting lots of hands on experience which is a real must have in her career. 

I had best get on because this plant sale won’t happen by itself.  Pity because I am a little tired. 

Until tomorrow. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment